The FFA Agricultural Policy Experience will encourage and challenge students to push past their current knowledge of agricultural issues and policy and become a more informed and active leader in their schools and communities. Attendees will be paired with an agricultural policy mentor during the conference and will also have the opportunity to meet with legislators from across the state.
Topics covered in the conference include:
· History of political influence through agriculture
· Your important personal role in policy engagement
· Experience in the legislative process including participation in a mock senate
· Physical and demographic make-up of legislature
· Using credible resources to influence
· Interaction of politicians, bureaucrats, lobbyists, media
· Overview of today’s issues
· Creating an action plan for FFA Day at the Capitol
· Scope of personal participation at local, state and federal levels
When: January 8-10, 2017 (Must also be able to participate in FFA Day at the Capitol on February 23.)
Where: St. Paul will be the main site and accommodations. We will also travel to the Minnesota Department of Agriculture and the Capitol.
Who: FFA members in grades 10-12 are encouraged to apply.
APEx 2015 participants visited with legislators and participated in their own mock Senate.
APEx 2015 participants met with the Commissioner of Agriculture and testified to agricultural committees.